No post yesterday because I worked for about 15 hours. Melissa had the day off yesterday and took some time to rest and was pretty frustrated while trying to do some shopping. Lots of poeple bothering her. That is unique because we really havnen't seen that before in Kolkata. We'll try again with me so I can protect her. Today I dropped her off again at the Motherhouse at 7 a.m.
We like walking at that time of day best because it is quieter and less busy. We are pretty unfazed by the traffic. We barely even move when we hear horns now and cross streets like a native forcing our way in from of vehicles. Travel is crazy though. I think I will spend upwards of 20 hours in cabs on this trip. I finally had a polite cabbie today, although I had to direct him (to the biggest museum in Kolkata, what cabbie can't find the biggest museum in the city right beside the biggest park in the city?) Thankfully I know my way - kinda. He is the first to offer me change back so I lte him keep it.
Yesterday was so long because I went out to a ministry site after the regular teaching time. That time was extended too because I had three counseling sessions. Counsling my own culture is hard enough. The pastors here are big authority figures. I work hard to be seen as equal and a peer and to be approachable and to be humble and admit my faults. So they find me pretty approachable. I grabbed a quick bite wiht Melissa and then left her again since it was going to be a late night. I headed north for an hour in a cab to a slum to meet with a church there. I've said for a long time that I could never find a church as amazing as Beautiful Savior. I think I found one. Thirty-five of us crammed in a room about 6' x 8'. We prayed I gave a teaching and then I prayed over so many of them. This is the deepest poverty I've seen. The leader of the Christians here works collecting trash and they endure a lot of persecution from others. It was a really amazing group.
I have to run again. another busy day today lots of extra students - the word got out - I have over 30 today. I have about 6 or 7 more sites to visit in the next days and untold hours in cabs. Tomorrow is a little more laid back and hopefully we can rest a bit. Thanks for praying.
(Big Hindu festival going on 1 block from our hotel tonight, lots of chanting.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
SO happy to hear from you!!! Melissa has such courage to go out in an unfamiliar culture! Pete, I can't imagine a 15-hour day!!! We know God is blessing the people you are with through your teaching and your way with people. We are so proud of you. We pray you stay safe and return to us well, invigoraged and happy in the work of the Lord. Mom
ReplyDeleteAnother revelation of sorts. I thought about Paul on his journeys visiting churches established in so many places. He brought with him an intimacy and knowledge of Jesus that likely had net been seen, heard or felt in some of the places he went. What we have through the epistles is only a small fragment of the experiences he had. You should be able to connect with him in a much more personal way after this trip. Brad
ReplyDelete"....But the greatest of these is LOVE."
ReplyDeleteMelissa & Pete, may our Lord continue to fill you with His love and His strength as you pour yourselves out to ALL you meet.
Also --- enjoy your "day off".
AZMom
WOW!! I see Eph. 3:20 in operation --immeasurably more than we can ask or imagine!! To Him be the glory!
ReplyDeleteI sense there may be some spiritual warfare occuring as well. I'm lifting you, your work & Melissa in prayer.
Love -- AZ Dad//
I look forward each day to your updates. Appreciate your taking the time to write after your long, long exhilarating but draining, days.
ReplyDeleteLove and Prayers each and every day. We miss ya too. Linda